Friday, February 14, 2014

Celebrating a Man Well-Loved


February 13, 1971, Rodney Lane Cook was born. I will forever be thankful for that day. I can't help but think that God had an extra special smile on his face, knowing what his life would entail and the impact he would have on others in the 42 years that were to come. I am blessed to have been a part of that time he was given on this earth.

The day was hard. No other words to describe how I longed for him to be here to celebrate his 43rd birthday. That is what I wanted. That is what his boys and family and friends wanted. It was not God's plan, however; and I had to sit in that.

All
Day
Long

I sobbed and I also smiled and laughed as I remembered him. I felt a peace that only could've come from Christ. There is something just breath-taking to feel covered in prayer. I knew many prayers were spoken yesterday as I felt heartbroken, yet held by God at the same time.

I finished putting together a book of memories for the boys. Stories continue to come in and will be added to the book as they do. At last count there were over 75 different stories, written by people who were touched by him in so many facets of life. Whether it was someone who knew him for a long time or only had a brief encounter with him…HE MADE A DIFFERENCE IN PEOPLE'S LIVES! He fulfilled what he hoped for in this life. That was to make his "dash"- the years between his birth and his death, really count! Boy, did they ever…I don't know of anyone who could've packed more life into 42 years!

The boys and I will cherish these stories and memories for years to come. So, for those who took the time to do this THANK YOU! I will continue adding to the book, so if you knew him and feel led to write something, please send it to me.

Last night we celebrated and honored Bunky's birthday…his 1st in Heaven…by sending up sky lanterns with friends and Bunky's dad who live around the area. It was really a last minute idea, but I was overwhelmed with the people who came to do this with us. Such a special night!




It's hard to tell in the pictures…but the lanterns were beautiful floating to the sky.  They almost looked like colorful stars as they got farther away!

1 comment:

  1. i am getting caught up on your blog! Love all the sweet, sweet memories! Love you, friend!

    Tippa

    ReplyDelete