Saturday, January 11, 2014

Funny Times

Bunky's 43rd birthday would have been this coming February 13th. It feels important to do something special to commemorate this day with the boys. I have been thinking for a while now about what that looks like. Not exactly sure what I wanted to do, it came to me after a recent conversation with Carson one night this past week.

Carson was teary as I was tucking him in bed. This is not unusual. Nights are hard. They are hard for me on many levels. I think they are hard for Carson for some of the same reasons. You see, after trying to hold it together all day, with constant reminders all around you…slowing down to go to sleep at night is like an abrupt smack in the face with all that's been held at bay in front of everyone else. Your mind starts to slow down and a flood gate just opens up, at the very moment you want to turn it off. So, many nights we spend time talking through these hard emotions that creep in. Some nights, he even knows it's coming before the first tear falls, and tries desperately to steer the conversation into something lighter. I am happy to go there and don't force these conversations. I get it….I really do.

The other night, Carson said he really missed his dad's laugh and never wanted to forget it. He felt like he was starting to forget his dad's laugh and some of the funny times they had. Thankfully, I have plenty of video to remember. He wanted me to tell him funny things his dad had said or had done. He wanted funny stories. We enjoyed talking about some of them and it did our heavy hearts good. His dad really was funny. Always making those around him laugh. Always doing funny things. We used to always tell each other that we might be old, gray, and senile, but one thing we would always have was laughter with each other. I miss his sense of humor more than I could've ever imagined. Things just aren't that funny to me anymore.

So, to commemorate his 43rd birthday, I would like to ask those who knew Bunky (or Rod) to email me just a funny story you have of him. It can be something he said or did…whatever you want (just please keep it appropriate for me to read to my boys!) :) You can email it to me at missycook@bellsouth.net. If you will put your name and how you knew him as well, that would be great. It doesn't have to be long.

I think it will be neat to read these to the boys and I plan to make a book to put them in for them to have for years to come. Please take just a few minutes to share your funny story. It will make an impact, that you cannot even fathom. I would give anything to have something like this from my own mom. So, I know it will be a priceless treasure to Carson, Colby, and Cooper.

Try to do this by Feb. 1st if possible, so I can get them together. Just put "Funny story" in the subject if you can remember. Thank you for taking time to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment