Thursday, June 12, 2014

Father's Day


Just thinking about Father's Day this year, takes my breath away. I've always thought Mother's Day creeps up quickly with all the end-of-year school chaos that starts during the month of May. Then, Father's Day seems to come just as quick and unexpectedly; although, you would think it would be on the radar after Mother's Day has set the stage.

This year is different. I have been all too aware of Father's Day, looming in the shadows…waiting to make it's debut. The Hallmark aisle filled with blues, greens, plaids, and stripes. The U.S. Open going on. The advertisements for grills and golf equipment. Ties, shavers, electronics, and fishing gear staring me in the face at every turn. I absolutely dread it for my boys. It's like a big slap in the face. A glowing reminder that "Your dad is not here to celebrate."

I think I am especially sensitive to it because I have experienced 34 years worth of "Mother's Days" without my own mom. Even after all these years, there is still a sting that comes with that holiday, so I feel fairly certain my boys will have a similar story when it comes to Father's Day. And well, that just makes me sad for them.

People have asked what we are doing. I don't know the answer to that. I know what we are NOT doing. Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but we will not be going to church on Father's Day. I remember being in church on Mother's Day one too many times, where crafts were made for your mom, not to mention all the recognition for the moms present. Nothing wrong with that. However, it feels hard and cruel to expose the boys to a situation that will, undoubtedly, be placing an emphasis on dad this year.

Over the last few days we have chosen to focus on 2 things, as Father's Day approaches:

1.) Our Heavenly Father loves us beyond compare and we can put our trust in Him. He is a Father to the fatherless (Psalm 68:5), and the role that God plays as their "Father" will be monumental in the days and years to come.

2.) Rod Cook was the MOST amazing "earthly" father, and we will choose to be thankful for the time they got to experience having him as their daddy. His legacy is full and rich. He packed more into his few years of being a dad, than many dads can say they have in a lifetime.

I hope that as you celebrate Father's Day, you will whisper a prayer for the Cook boys. I pray that you will choose to be thankful for the dad you have, even if he is not perfect. Show him he is loved and appreciated like never before. Ladies, put aside any frustrations you may have about making your man feel special on this day (even if YOU are the one that carries the bulk of responsibilities as parent). God made these men fathers. Their impact is immeasurable and they deserve to be celebrated. Respect them. Make sure your children lavish them with love and hugs. Spend time together as a family if you can. Take pictures. Cherish the moment. I didn't know that Father's Day 2013 would be the last for my boys to celebrate their dad on this special day. If it's the last for your children's father…wouldn't you make the most of it?

One of the last pictures of the boys with their dad. Taken outside of Nachos Restaurant (where we ate lunch for Father's Day last year), before heading to one of their post season tournament games. Rod did not want to take a picture, because we were in a hurry…I'm so thankful I insisted!


2 comments:

  1. Missy, you and your boys are always in my thoughts. And Bunky has been on my mind lately too, as our 25-Year Class Reunion is next weekend. He truly was a great guy and will be terribly missed! You and your precious family are in my prayers...may God continue to comfort and keep you as only He can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veleta! I appreciate your kind words and continued prayer. Have a wonderful time at the reunion…you know that is exactly what he would want!

      Delete