Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas Letter 2013

Below is the letter I intended to send out with our Christmas cards. It was a little long, so I decided to post it here instead….
This was last Christmas Eve as the boys and their daddy "tracked" Santa on the computer. I love this!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
On July 3, 2013, our world as we knew it came to a screeching halt. The most amazing husband, father, son, friend, coach, mentor...a 42 year-old man who was so many things to so many people... left this journey on earth and embraced his eternal home in Heaven. Not a day goes by that we don’t long to see him, hear his voice, or feel his presence in a tangible way. At the very core of our family, we feel broken, displaced, and incomplete. 

Grief is a strange thing. It seems that one minute life seems okay and at best...livable, but just under the surface, the reality that all you have known for years and all that you intended to know for years to come, has just been ripped away. The boys and I have moments of joy and laughter and love to talk about our favorite memories or “what do you think dad would say/do about that?” Even the moments of happiness, which sometimes feel fewer and farther between, are tainted and tempered with the pain of loss. 

Nothing can ever prepare someone for suddenly losing the love of their life. There are times I look at our boys and can hardly breathe, just imagining what I will face in the days and years to come, without having their dad here to share in it with me. What I do know, is that I believe in an Almighty God. One who was not caught off guard by this and the ONE who will slowly mend the broken pieces of the core of our family together again. He is near to the broken-hearted and will faithfully carry us when our legs just won’t take one more step. 

I also know that HE is the reason I have HOPE that this broken world is not the end. Because He sacrificed His ONLY son, Jesus Christ, our sins are forgiven, our debt has been paid, we have been redeemed. Nothing and no one can keep us from His love for us. Basically, this life is NOT it...not all we have to look forward to. There is nothing greater than knowing these truths and knowing that my man is basking in the glory of His Savior. I can’t wait to join him one day! I hope that this holiday season, the birth of Jesus, the VERY one whom my husband is now in the presence of, will be more real to you than ever before. I can think of nothing Rod Cook would love more, than to know his friends and family will be joining him at his party in Heaven one day. 

For all that has been done for us, well, it is honestly just overwhelming. I couldn’t possibly begin to sit down and thank every person for all the MANY ways you have cared for and blessed us. We have had strangers show up at our door with food, gifts, and money. The boys have had countless sleepovers, play dates, and rides to practices. The meals have ministered to me like you wouldn’t believe, as I have just felt weary, and unable to think through coming up with grocery lists to cook. The cards, phone calls, texts, emails, gift cards, interior and exterior house decorating and maintenance, helping with homework, house cleaning, yard maintenance, and the list could really go on forever! We have felt your prayers and continue to feel deeply loved in every way. It is truly a testimony to the kind of man Rod was. 

I cherish every second that I had with him. Bunky used to always talk about how what really mattered was the “dash” between his birth date and the date he would die. His life on this earth, which represented the “dash,” leaves a remarkable legacy and lasting impact on those whose lives he touched. Each of you have honored him well by the way you have supported us.... “Thank You”....just isn’t adequate, but please know my heart is overflowing with gratitude. 

The boys and I continue to go to therapy, as we process this great loss. Carson and Colby are both starting basketball and are doing well in school. Cooper is just enjoying being in Kindergarten and isn’t interested in team sports yet, although, he did mention the other day that he wanted to take “Ninja Guitar” lessons...not sure what that is? We had a wonderful pumpkin patch this year for The Cooper Trooper Foundation. I am so thankful for the many who stepped up and took such a load for me this year. Our sales were up 41% from last year. Rod Cook would be celebrating that one...and I feel certain he is! 

Finally, I just wanted to ask for continued prayers this year for some specific things:
Colby’s birthday (2/10)- Rod’s was 2/13 and they always celebrated together, so I know this year will be tough for Colby. Spring Baseball season (this will be hard for all of us, as he had a huge presence with spring baseball), Carson’s birthday (5/20), He went home to be with Jesus (7/3), Cooper’s birthday (7/28),  Anniversary (8/1), My birthday (9/6)

With hearts full of love and gratitude, 

Missy, Carson, Colby, and Cooper Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment